Thursday, August 4, 2011

In Response To: Red-Light Cameras Reducing Crashes in Texas

I enjoyed reading the blog post of my fellow classmate, Abbey.  In her post, she defends the use of red-light cameras in Texas intersections in order to reduce the number of accidents or collisions.  I agree with the idea that red-light cameras are helpful and do make a difference at intersections.  Whenever someone is driving and notices one of the cameras, it can be helped but to think more carefully of slowing down or paying attention to the light.  However, my problem with red-light cameras is the ability to easily gain revenue by placing these cameras around the city.  I am completely for the idea of reducing accidents, but I know that if revenue is short for the month, all the city has to do is reduce the yellow light time.  I have noticed many different times while I am driving that certain lights are always inconsistent during the yellow light time.  These are the intersections where red-light cameras are installed and the period during the yellow light is being reduced significantly.  Though I agree with the overall idea of red-light cameras, there are many flaws to the system.  For example, according to this article, "People may not receive citations until days or sometimes weeks after the alleged violation. This makes it very difficult to defend oneself because it would be hard to remember the circumstances surrounding the supposed violation."  These tickets are sent out by mail, so if they are not received and the motorist fails to pay, "it is assumed that they did so on purpose, and a warrant may be issued for their arrest."  Overall, I am not sure that red-light cameras are installed for safety.  Instead, I believe they are truly used for revenue more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment